If you want to install SharePoint Foundation 2010 Service Pack 2 on Small Business Server (SBS) 2011 here’s the process I’d recommend you follow.
1. Firstly go into the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration and select Manage servers in this farm from under the System Settings section.
Check that the Status of the SBS server DOES NOT SAY upgrade required. If it says Upgrade Required you need to run a PSCONFIG command by following this post.
However, ENSURE you have a complete BACKUP of Companyweb and you know how to recover SharePoint if needed BEFORE you run PSCONFIG. Resources on doing both of these will be listed below. But DON’T run a PSCONFIG without a good backup and an understanding of how to recover SharePoint on SBS if it all goes pear shaped!
As you can see, in the above screen shot it says No Action Required. This means all patches and updates have been fully applied, so we can apply new updates.
2. Complete a full backup of Companyweb. I recommend you use the stsadm –o backup command or equivalent to get a copy of the data in a nice flat data file. This makes it easy to blow back into a clean site in case of a recovery or rebuild. Information on stsadm –o backup command for SharePoint Foundation 2010 can be found here:
You should have a DR plan for Companyweb in case the upgrade fails. If you don’t know how to recover Companyweb then I strongly suggest you check out the resource links at the bottom of the page. PSCONFIG commands on SBS don’t have a great history of always working as expected, so be prepared.
3. Download SharePoint Foundation 2010 Service Pack 2 from:
4. Read the above KB article and understand if the known issues with this update will affect you.
5. Run the downloaded Service Pack as an Administrator
Accept the UAC.
Accept License agreement and Continue.
Let the files extract.
Let the files install.
After the install the server is probably going to need to reboot.
6. After the reboot run a Command Prompt as an administrator.
Accept the UAC.
7. Change directory to c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\14\bin
8. At the command prompt type:
PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures
and press Enter.
9. You should see the process commence and run through 6 steps.
All going well, all 6 steps should complete without anything being unsuccessful.
10. Open SharePoint Foundation 2010 Central Administration and select Manage servers in this farm from the System Settings section.
Check that the configuration database version is now 14.0.7015.0000.
11. Check Companyweb is functioning on the server AND workstations.
Repair SharePoint Foundation 2010 – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680310.aspx
Reinstall SharePoint Foundation 2010 – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680325
Overview of Backing Up and Restoring Data in SharePoint Foundation – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc264321(v=office.14).aspx
Susan Bradley for providing SBS 2011 system