Here’s my walk through of installing SharePoint Foundation 2010 on a stand alone Windows Server.
Some points to note with this method:
1. There are not many prompts. All the defaults are taken.
2. New SharePoint site ends up on the default web site for the server on port 80.
3. You get a SharePoint Team template by default.
4. You get SQL Server 2008 Express installed which has a 4GB database limit.
5. You generally can’t expand this installation to allow multi server (i.e. a SharePoint farm)
This is really the most basic of SharePoint Foundation installs. Watch out for further installation examples, coming soon.